St Paul’s Churchill, Mill Hill
The church, a Grade II listed building, was originally built by William Wilberforce (Slave trade reformer) in 1833. The restoration and refurbishment project was put into 3 phases:
Phase 1: Restoration Works
The building was completely re-rendered using traditional lime wash materials, the external stonework was repaired or replaced in Bath Stone, the roof was re-covered in Welsh state and structural works were carried out internally to the chancel.
Phase 2; Crypt Re-development & Church Reordering
The works comprised of lowering the crypt level to create the Wilberforce Centre & and new Chapel (using the existing rood screed from the main church) and in the main church the installation of a new galleried area for additional seating and for the installation of the organ pipework, which has given the church a striking feature. Additional works including a new ramped entrance into the crypt, mechanical and electrical installations to include induction loops and new drainage.
Phase 3 New Entrance Foyer
This phase provided the church with a new glass fronted entrance foyer with stairs and lift access to the crypt including toilets and baby changing facilities.
RLP Roles: Chartered Quantity Surveyor (All Phases)
Architect (All Phases): Russell Hanslip Associates
Contractor (Phase 1): Paye Stonework & Restoration
Contractor (Phases 2 & 3): Jarvis Contracting Ltd